[Python-Dev] r84775 - peps/trunk/pep-3149.txt

Piotr Ożarowski piotr at debian.org
Tue Sep 14 13:56:42 CEST 2010

[Antoine Pitrou, 2010-09-13]

> > >I meant how these decisions are implemented. Is there a configure
> > >switch (there doesn't seem to be)? Does it require patching Python?
> >
> > Ah, no.  Standard configure switches are used.  Debian (inherited by Ubuntu)
> > has a post-installation script for Python packages which create the .py
> > symlinks and do the byte-compilation.  The big win here is that much of this
> > can go away now (and in fact there are modifications to this post-installation
> > script already).
>
> Ok, so can you explain how the new thing will work (on Debian)? :)

we have /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages in sys.path (via patched
Lib/site.py). Our python3.1 will use the same directory as well
(version in experimental is modified to use tagged extensions).
distutils has additional --install-layout command which when set to
"deb" uses Debian's locations, if distutils is not used (or
--install-layout=deb not set), dh_python3 will move files to the
right location at (package's) build time (and rename .so files)

> Does it mean that e.g. /usr/lib/python3.2/site-packages will get
> symlinked to /usr/lib/python?

no, /usr/lib/python3.2/site-packages is not used at all (we don't use
"site-packages" anymore to avoid conflicts with local installations of
Python. /usr/lib/python3.2/dist-packages on the other hand is still in
sys.path, but I'm not sure what we'll do with it (we still have to
figure out what to do with modules that work with 3.2 only and cannot be
patched due to f.e. from __future__ imports)