[Python-Dev] Rework nntlib?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Tue Sep 14 18:43:46 CEST 2010

    Baptiste> Reading this from GMANE ;-)

I use GMANE too on occasion, but only via the web, as I suppose most people
do.  I haven't actually used an NNTP-based app like xrn or gnus in probably
two decades.  Do the GMANE folks publish HTTP v. NNTP statistics for their
service?

I question if the nntplib module is used enough to warrant inclusion with
the rest of the batteries.  Not to mention dedication of scarce people
resources.  Even though Antoine has kindly volunteered to make the necessary
changes, I seem to recall that the email package transition took awhile to
get right (and already had a reasonable test suite I suspect).  There are
probably more critical parts of Python he could work on instead (though
who's to dispute that Antoine has an NNTP itch?)  Finally, is there an
application out in the wild using nntplib which is desirous of better NNTP
support than Python currently has?

We got rid of gopherlib a few years ago (deprecated in 2.5, presumably gone
in 2.6).  I suspect the NNTP protocol has a greatly diminished user base as
well, GMANE's presence notwithstanding.

Skip