[Python-Dev] Rework nntlib?

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Wed Sep 15 00:45:24 CEST 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:34:33 +0530, Senthil Kumaran <orsenthil at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:44:30PM +0200, Baptiste Carvello wrote:
> > >    Antoine> Like the email package, nntplib in py3k is broken (because of
> > >    Antoine> various bytes/str mismatches; I suppose the lack of a test
> > >    Antoine> suite didn't help when porting).
> > >
> > >How heavily used is nntp these days (unless you're looking for spam)?  Would
> > >it make more sense to find someone willing to maintain it outside the Python
> > >core and just remove it altogether?
> > >
> > Reading this from GMANE ;-)
>
> I guess, Skip's question or intention was, how often nntplib as a
> module is being used these days to write scripts/tools or clients?
> Very rarely.
>
> It would definitely be interesting to know, if there are python
> applications out there which are using nntplib at the moment.

You all might find it interesting to know that I'm now maintaining
email and working on email6 as a direct consequence of nntplib.  I was
using it to read mailing lists through gmane, and when I tried to
port my nntp tool to Python3 I found that decode_header (among
other things) was broken, and as a consequence of talking to Barry
about that walked in to the email minefield....

I'm currently not using my nttp reader, but it is because I couldn't
stand working on my client in Python2, I wanted to be using Python3.
So I volunteered to help with email...but I figure I'll come back around
and help Antoine with nttplib by and by :)

--David