[Python-Dev] Rework nntlib?

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 16:38:52 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> On 9/15/2010 10:02 AM, Jesse Noller wrote:

>>> And again I say, if anyone knows of any budgets to which this work is
>>> important, the PSF will be happy to try and tap these people for money
>>> that can help the development effort. Frankly I am a little embarrassed
>>> by the poor quality of some library code.
>>>
>>> I think it shows that the "rush to release" which might not have been in
>>> Python's best short-term interests, even though actually getting it out
>>> the door was a significant occurrence for the long term..
>>>
>>> regards
>>>  Steve
>>
>> Without the release we probably would not have found out about these
>> issues; no one seems to take the betas or alphas for serious test
>> drives (to be expected) with real code, so yeah, in hindsight, there
>> are issues - but then again, they would have been fixed if everyone
>> had really known about them in advance. No one wants to ship something
>> with horrible bugs in it.
>>
> Well, consider my remarks in a historical rather than a critical
> context. I have no beef with 3.0 having come out when it did, and see no
> reason why 3.x shouldn't continue to yield lessons for all Python
> implementers.
>
> The question of when to declare 3.x the "official" release is
> interesting. I am inclined to say "when there's at least one other
> implementation at 3.2" - even if CPython is then at 3.3 or 3.4.

The moratorium is in place to allow this catch-up to occur (in theory)
as cpython is not as large a moving target. However, I don't see how
waiting for another implementation, which would probably inherit the
same standard library code (and therefore, the same issues) is going
to help with issues in the 3.x standard library.

Besides; we have two official releases of python - 2.7 and 3.1, I see
us as already having declared or decided to mark it as official, even
if it's not entirely bug free.