[Python-Dev] 3.x as the official release

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Sep 15 18:55:19 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 09:35, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> ...snip...
>>> The one area I have concerns about is the state of WSGI and other
>>> web-oriented modules. These issues have been brought up by Armin and
>>> others, but given a lack of a clear path forward (bugs, peps, etc), I
>>> don't think it's fair to use it as a measurement of overall quality.
>>
>> The whole WSGI situation is not going to get cleared up (from my
>> understanding) until someone flat-out declares a winner in the whole
>> str/bytes argument that keeps coming up. I think it might be time to
>> have a PEP or two on this and use our new PEP dictator procedure to
>> settle this so it stops dragging on (unless it has been miraculously
>> settled and I am just unaware of it).
>>

> Yup, and I spoke with some people with horses in that race at
> Djangocon. The important thing is that the PEP(s) and suggestion come
> from the people with the most experience in that domain.

Yes. They have to be people who are not only stakeholders but people
who actively use and develop large applications using WSGI.

> That's why I
> said we (in the "committer" sense) need a clear path of things we need
> to change or fix - without it we're just stabbing in the dark.

So, who do we get to write the PEP(s)? Should we ask the web-sig to
choose a person or two and then once we have the PEPs we designate PEP
dictators? Either way we should probably set a deadline to get the
PEPs in else the SIG might argue too long where to go look at paint
samples.