[Python-Dev] 3.x as the official release

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacob at jacobian.org
Wed Sep 15 19:36:38 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fundamentally; I would gladly hold up 3.2 (just my opinion) for the
> needed fixes to the standard lib [...]

I think I should share a little anecdote at this point:

Earlier in the year I worked for a while on Django/Py3. It's actually
not that hard of a task (because I'm building on the work by MvL and
some of Greg Wilson's students!) and I quickly got a simple app
working locally. So the next step for me was to see about putting the
app into production... and that's where the wheels fell off.

So that's where I stopped. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not willing to
expend the effort to get Django ported if I can't put it into
production. Most of us working on Django are going to feel the same
way, I suspect.

Further, I can say with some confidence that until the WSGI issue is
sorted the Python web world isn't going to have much enthusiasm for
Python 3.

I'm trying not to sound overly negative here -- really, I can't *WAIT*
to be able to switch to Py3! But until I have a bunch of
interoperable, robust WSGI servers like I do on Python 2 -- modwsgi,
uwsgi, cherrypy, gunicorn, ... -- Python 3 is going to remain a pipe
dream.

Jacob