[Python-Dev] 3.x as the official release

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Sep 15 20:11:14 CEST 2010

Given that wsgiref is in the stdlib, I think we should hold up the 3.2
release (and even the first beta) until this is resolved, unless we
can convince ourselves that it's okay to delete wsgiref from the
stdlib (which sounds unlikely but may not be any more incompatible
than making it work properly :-).

I want to emphasize that I am *not* a stakeholder so my preference for
bytes or Unicode shouldn't matter; that said, given WSGI's traditional
emphasis on using the lowest-level, vanilla standard datatypes (e.g.
you can't even subclass dict let alone provide another kind of mapping
-- it has to be a real dict) it makes sense to me that the values
should be bytes, os.environ notwithstanding. The keys probably could
be Unicode (HTTP headers are required to use only 7-bit ASCII
characters anyways right?). But I'd be happy to be shown the error of
my ways (or given a link showing prior discussion of the matter --
preferably with a conclusion :-).


On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <jacob at jacobian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Fundamentally; I would gladly hold up 3.2 (just my opinion) for the
>> needed fixes to the standard lib [...]
> I think I should share a little anecdote at this point:
> Earlier in the year I worked for a while on Django/Py3. It's actually
> not that hard of a task (because I'm building on the work by MvL and
> some of Greg Wilson's students!) and I quickly got a simple app
> working locally. So the next step for me was to see about putting the
> app into production... and that's where the wheels fell off.
> So that's where I stopped. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not willing to
> expend the effort to get Django ported if I can't put it into
> production. Most of us working on Django are going to feel the same
> way, I suspect.
> Further, I can say with some confidence that until the WSGI issue is
> sorted the Python web world isn't going to have much enthusiasm for
> Python 3.
> I'm trying not to sound overly negative here -- really, I can't *WAIT*
> to be able to switch to Py3! But until I have a bunch of
> interoperable, robust WSGI servers like I do on Python 2 -- modwsgi,
> uwsgi, cherrypy, gunicorn, ... -- Python 3 is going to remain a pipe
> dream.
> Jacob
> _______________________________________________
> Python-Dev mailing list
> Python-Dev at python.org
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-dev
> Unsubscribe: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/guido%40python.org

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)

More information about the Python-Dev mailing list