[Python-Dev] Rework nntlib?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Sep 15 20:29:32 CEST 2010

On Sep 15, 2010, at 02:02 PM, Jesse Noller wrote:

>And who do you get to maintain all the new tests and buildbots you
>spawn from running hundreds of community projects unittests? How do
>you know those tests are real, and actually work? You quickly outstrip
>the ability of the core team to stay on top of it, and you run into
>issues in the past akin to the community build bots project.

This was something we were thinking about as part of the snakebite project.  I
don't know if that's still alive though.  I would love to have *some* kind of
health/QA metric show up next to packages on the Cheeseshop for example.

It's also something I've been mulling over as part of QA for the large number
of Python packages available in Debian/Ubuntu.  This was in the context of
trying to judge the health of those packages for Python 2.7.

At our last UDS I spoke to a number of people and thought that it actually
wouldn't be infeasible to set up some kind of automated Hudson-based farm to
run test suites for all the packages we make available.  I think all the basic
pieces are there, it's mostly a matter of finding the time to put it all
together.  I of course did not find the time :/ so it hasn't happened yet.

Of course, the set of platforms, Python versions, and packages we care about
is much narrower than the full Python community, but it would still be an
interesting exercise.

-Barry