[Python-Dev] how to decide on a Python 3 design for wsgiref

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 22:56:22 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Both the RM and BDFL agree that Python 3.2b1 should be held up until
> we settle this wsgi matter. That makes it a question of how to settle
> it.
> Thinking out loud here to keep this discussion focused, I say we give
> a deadline for PEPs to be submitted by October 15th. We then choose
> two PEP dictators to make a call by November 1, get wsgiref cleaned up
> ASAP, and get Python 3.2b1 out the door immediately thereafter. If
> web-sig manages to come to an agreement as a whole before then we can
> skip the PEPs, but if they have not managed to do this already then it
> probably is not going to suddenly happen now under threat of
> python-dev making the call for them by blessing a new wsgiref
> implementation (happy to be proven wrong, though).

There's not just wsgiref; there's the possibility that other core and
standard library changes may be needed. For example, the discussion
from back in june:


(that thread goes on for awhile)

I'd personally like to see a plan which provides a path for both
wsgiref, WSGI itself in python3 and the related changes to core which
might be predicated, that way we can have some level of confidence
we're not making the same misstep we made in the first place, making
it so painful for the web frameworks/gateways/etc.


More information about the Python-Dev mailing list