[Python-Dev] (Not) delaying the 3.2 release

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Sep 16 00:09:28 CEST 2010

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:11:14 -0700
Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Given that wsgiref is in the stdlib, I think we should hold up the 3.2
> release (and even the first beta) until this is resolved, unless we
> can convince ourselves that it's okay to delete wsgiref from the
> stdlib (which sounds unlikely but may not be any more incompatible
> than making it work properly :-).

I'm not sure I agree with this. Considering that:
- a PEP can be written at any time, and third-party implementations
  made compatible independently of our release schedule, and
- a wsgi3ref package can be uploaded to the Cheese Shop as soon as the
  PEP is finalized,

I don't see what we gain by holding up the 3.2 release.  Some writing a
Web application will need third-party modules anyway, so downloading
wsgi3ref shouldn't be too painful.

On the other hand, if 3.2 is delayed by a month or more, I might try to
push for rapid acceptance of PEP 3151, in the hope that the
implementation is ready before the first beta!



More information about the Python-Dev mailing list