[Python-Dev] (Not) delaying the 3.2 release

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Sep 16 21:21:13 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 10:56:56AM -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>> > Well, depends on what exactly you're doing, it's pretty easy to go wrong:
>> >
>> > Python 3.2a2+ (py3k, Sep 16 2010, 18:43:45) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>> > Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>> > ('C:\\', '十')
>> > (b'C:\\\x8f', b'')
>> >
>> > Similar things can catch out web developers once they step outside the
>> > percent encoding.
>>
>> Well, that character is not 7-bit ASCII. Of course things will go
>> wrong there. That's the whole point of what I said, isn't it?
>>
> You were talking about encodings that were supersets of 7-bit ASCII.
> I think Martin was demonstrating a byte string that was a superset of 7-bit
> ASCII being fed to a stdlib function which went wrong.

Whoops, sorry. I don't have access to Windows so I can't reproduce
this though. I also don't understand it. What is the Unicode codepoint
for that 十 character? What is sys.getfilesystemencoding()? What is the
value of "C:\\十".encode(sys.getfilesystemencoding())?

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)