[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 Won't Build

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Sep 16 21:36:24 CEST 2010

On Sep 16, 2010, at 01:41 PM, Tom Browder wrote:

>I am trying to rebujild the 2.7 maintenance branch and get this error
>on Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS:

I just tried this on my vanilla 10.04.1 system.  I checked out release27-maint
ran configure && make.  It built without problem.

>XXX lineno: 743, opcode: 0
>Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/local/src/python-2.7-maint-svn/Lib/site.py", line 62, in
> <module> import os
> File "/usr/local/src/python-2.7-maint-svn/Lib/os.py", line 743, in
> <module> def urandom(n):
>SystemError: unknown opcode
>
>I installed it successfully once so I may be getting conflicts, but I
>can't figure out why.  There were some similar bugs reported in
>previous versions but I didn't see a clear solution.

I installed Python 2.7 to /usr/local, then did a make distclean, configure,
make.  Again, successfully.

>I have done "make distclean" and "./configure".  I have unset my
>PYTHONPATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but python2.7 is my default python.
>
>I guess my next step will be to manually remove the installed python
>2.7 unless I hear some other suggestions.

When you say "installed python 2.7" do you mean the one you installed to
/usr/local from a from-source build, or something else (e.g. a Python 2.7
package perhaps)?

>And I will file a bug report soon unless that is inappropriate.

Sure.  Please +nosy me.  But I think something else is going on.
-Barry