[Python-Dev] [Catalog-sig] egg_info in PyPI

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 17:27:33 CEST 2010

2010/9/18 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
>> So, I don't understand what is the benefit here, since a serious
>> installer will re-run egg_info every time.
>
> I think the main applications that people are after are not builds.
> They want the dependency information without downloading the packages,
> and dependency information for packages they have no plans to install.

Yes they want to build the graph of dependencies, which will be
potentially false, as I explained.

> In the specific case of tl.eggdeps, the dependency information is only
> used to create printable graphs. If this turns out to be slightly incorrect,
> people would notice if they try to use the packages in
> question.

So you are fine with publishing "slightly incorrect" metadata at PyPI
? I am not.

>> Coming from the Plone/buildout community, I would be concerned if
>> buildout would rely on this. json, ldap, mysql you name it --I have
>> tons of other examples--  all those dependencies will not be accurate
>> unless you re-run setup.py egg_info. "Good enough metadata" sounds
>> completely wrong to me.
>
> Still, people ask for it. I'm fine with telling them that the data
> is flawed for various reasons. I object to denying them the data,
> and I really dislike having to discard the patch that I already
> wrote to implement it.

The can have those data, by downloading the tarball of the project and
running the egg_info command. They will in this case have accurate
data in fact. So right now you don't deny them the data, it's one
command away from them.

I don't understand the rational behind providing flawed data at PyPI.
I am -1 on that.

Regards
Tarek

--