[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 Won't Build

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 22:01:24 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 14:28, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:31:45 -0500
> Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone explain the two different "default" installations I got?
>>
>> It seems to me I should force the Ubuntu-style installation by  the
>> "--with-universal-archs=64-bit" configure option, and I will try that
>> on Debian while I await expert help.
>
> I think "universal arch" builds only apply under OS X where they
> produce fat binaries.
>
> Under 64-bit Linux, you can compile either a 64-bit executable (the
> default) or a 32-bit executable (by specifying e.g. CC="gcc -m32" to
> the configure script).
>

> However, the /usr/local/lib{,64}/python2.7 issue is a bit different,
> since those directories can host architecture independent files
> (such as .py and .pyc files). For example, on my Mandriva
> install, the 64-bit Python executable can import packages from
> both /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/
> and /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/.

Thanks, Antoine.

And I think I just found the problem with the installation (it may be
worth a note):  I had  a special configuration file
(/usr/local/share/config.site) for autoconf to force the primary local
libraries to be installed in /usr/local/lib64 (left over from early
64-bit days of this old system).  Removing that file, removing the
/usr/local/lib64/python2.7 directory, and rebuilding and reinstalling
seems to have solved the immediate problem.

Moral of the story: watch out for old cruft in /usr/local when
installing a new distribution.

I apologize for the noise.

However, I'm still investigating the original build problem (gcc trunk
and corrupted byte compile), but it may be related--I'll see.

Regards,

-Tom

Thomas M. Browder, Jr.
Niceville, Florida