[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r84871 + committing distutils fixes

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Tue Sep 21 02:12:28 CEST 2010

>+    @unittest.skipIf(sys.platform.startswith('win'),
>+                        "This test is only appropriate for POSIX-like
systems.")

Is win32 the only non-POSIX supported platform now that OS 9 support is
gone?  I find those values in the docs for sys.platform: win32, cygwin,
darwin, os2, os2emx.  Is OS/2 a POSIX system?  Isn’t it more robust not
to ask this question and just use unittest.skipUnless(os.name ==
'posix', msg)?

On a related note, I’m very grateful that other developers take time to
reply to bugs and commit simple fixes that don’t require knowledge of
distutils dark corners.  Recent changes have tended to turn buildbots
red though, so I’d like to respectfully ask/remind you to make sure to
run tests before committing in each branch (3.2, 3.1, 2.7), if possible
on POSIX and Windows.  (Those are Tarek’s rules, not mine; I hope don’t
sound bossy or ungrateful for your help.)  I apologize in advance if you
did run the test and the buildbots just revealed an unforeseen
platform-specific quirk; I’m not accusing anyone of anything—I have my
share of embarrassing commits, so be sure I’m not judging here, I just
want to improve the process. :)

It would also be very helpful to always add the Distutils2 component so
that synchronizing the fixes is not overlooked.  (Maybe I should add a
tracker admin to automate that.)

mport-unittest-ly yours