[Python-Dev] Some changes to logging for 3.2

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 00:00:01 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning to make some smallish changes to logging in Python 3.2, please see
>
> http://plumberjack.blogspot.com/2010/09/improved-queuehandler-queuelistener.html
>
> If you're interested, I'd be grateful for any feedback you can give.

Looks like a good idea to me - I have a (C++) logging system at work
that pushes some of the I/O bound tasks out to a separate thread for
similar reasons.

To further reduce overhead, would it make sense for the signature of
the QueueListener constructor to be (queue, *handlers)? (Providing the
ability to add and remove handlers post-construction seems
unnecessary, since you can add or remove new listeners to the original
queue to get a similar effect without worrying about synchronisation
of access to the list of handlers)

Cheers,
Nick.