[Python-Dev] Goodbye

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Sep 23 13:44:44 CEST 2010

  On 23/09/2010 10:59, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:32:07 +0900
> "Stephen J. Turnbull"<stephen at xemacs.org>  wrote:
>> Triaging and closing bug reports are
>> not the only functions of the tracker, and in fact they are subsidiary
>> to actual bug-fixing work.
> +1. What we really need is people analyzing issues, posting patches or
> reviewing existing ones. Pushing for resolution of issues by
> threatening to close them isn't effective; it doesn't magically
> create more free time for us to deal with them.

Well, useful things that can still be done in triaging on old issues:

checking that a bug still exists
checking that a patch still applies and that tests still pass
pointing out if a patch lacks tests
seeing if the issue is duplicated elsewhere

If it is a *feature request* (as opposed to a bug report - and I
appreciate that the difference is often unclear) and the original poster
has 'lost interest' then closing the issue may be a reasonable response.

As others have mentioned, bumping old issues can bring it to the
attention of developers monitoring on IRC or the bug mailing list who
may not have seen the original report.

On all issues, new or old, additional potentially useful things to do:

make sure the issue is assigned to the right person if appropriate
add relevant keywords to make it easier to find in searches
ensure other fields in the tracker are filled in correctly
closing the issue if it is invalid or expired (for example it only
applies to an out of maintenance version of Python)

Some developers (Martin and Antoine at least) have complained about the
'noise' of receiving extra emails on issues they are nosy on. Several
developers have stated that they have found it useful (myself, Guido and
Tim Golden at least) - so there is certainly no consensus that this work
is pointless.

All the best,

Michael Foord