[Python-Dev] Moving the developer docs?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Sep 23 16:47:20 CEST 2010

Am 23.09.2010 16:33, schrieb Barry Warsaw:
> On Sep 23, 2010, at 10:16 AM, R. David Murray wrote:
>
>> I'd *much* rather edit rst files than futz with a web interface when
>> editing docs.  The wiki also somehow feels "less official".
>
> There are dvcs-backed wikis, for example:
>
> https://launchpad.net/wikkid
>
> :)
>
> I don't agree that the wiki feels less official, or perhaps that it *should*
> feel any less official.  It's an important source of Pythonic information, and
> to me it feels much more inclusive and open.

This impression comes along with the authority of potential authors.

If only the release manager can write a document, it is very official.
If any committer can write, but nobody else, it feels less officical.
If anybody could modify the document, it's even less official.

Since anybody can write to the Python wiki, it feels not very official.
It's the same reason why people often trust Wikipedia less than a
printed encyclopedia.

Regards,
Martin