[Python-Dev] Moving the developer docs?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Sep 23 16:53:55 CEST 2010

On Sep 23, 2010, at 10:43 AM, Jesse Noller wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>
>wrote:
>> On Sep 23, 2010, at 10:06 AM, Jesse Noller wrote:
>>
>>>-1 on wiki; wikis are where good information goes off to die.
>>
>> Well, *all* documentation requires vigilance to remain relevant and
>> current. I'm sure you don't think the Python wiki is useless,
>> right? ;)
>
>I do. I visit it as little as possible. :(

Bummer.

There's no reason it *has* to be useless though.  The Moin developer now has
shell access, so if there are technical problems with wiki, like its theme,
performance, or lack of features, we can get those fixed.  If it's the content
or organization that needs improvement, then we can recruit from the much
larger Python community than those that have write access to the core svn.
Let's honor and encourage folks who are really good at tending to wikis and
give them the tools they need to make the wiki excellent.

Of course, if the consensus is that wikis are just a waste of time and do more
harm than good, then we should shut ours down.  (I don't agree it is though.)

-Barry