[Python-Dev] Moving the developer docs?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Sep 23 23:04:46 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 09:05, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2010, at 11:49 AM, R. David Murray wrote:
>
>>A separate repository would also be fine, IMO.  If someone can find or
>>write the code to publish that repository to the appropriate location
>>automatically, we could presumably do this even before the rest of the
>>hg transition.
>
> I'm not necessarily opposed to that either.
>
> I do think the switch to hg will cause lots of churn in the dev process,
> ultimately for the better, but there will be experiment and change at least
> for the code contribution bits.
>
> I'm also not as worried about the authority of the wiki.  If we get good
> contributors and the rest of the community starts linking to wiki urls, it
> will feel (more) official.
>
> Anyway, it's all kind of secondary to actually writing stuff down. <wink>
> If Brett's going to do the work, then he gets to decide. :)

Whether it is in Doc/ or a separate Hg repo, I don't care. But I am
not doing it in the wiki.

While I am totally fine with wikis as a general community thing where
community input and editing is good, this is not one of those cases.
Our development process belongs to python-dev and thus should be
influenced by its members. I do not want to have to police the dev
docs after I write them because someone either disagreed or
misunderstood what was expected. For something this formal and
official I want pro-active instead of reactive editorial oversight.