[Python-Dev] PyObject_GC_UnTrack() no longer reliable in 2.7?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Sep 24 23:09:37 CEST 2010

> I assume this is unintended because (a) the docs weren't changed to
> warn about this; and, (b) it's wrong ;-)

It seems Jim is happy with (or has at least accepted) the behavior
change. Would you still like to see it fixed (or, rather, have the
2.6 state restored)?

I think it would be possible to have two versions of
_PyGC_REFS_UNTRACKED, one being, say, -5.
_PyGC_REFS_UNTRACKED_AND_KEEP_IT_THAT_WAY would be what you get
when you call PyObject_GC_UnTrack; the code to do automatic
tracking/untracking based on contents would use some other
new API (which would be non-public in 2.7.x).

Regards,
Martin