[Python-Dev] Summary of Python tracker Issues

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sat Sep 25 14:22:06 CEST 2010

Am 25.09.2010 14:10, schrieb "Martin v. Löwis":
>>> Guess the only way to settle this is look at the code, but I don't
>>> care enough to bother. =)
>>
>> I'll bother Ezio when he's back.  It just feels strange to me that the bit
>> of statistic I feel is most interesting -- whether there are less open bugs
>> at the end of the week than at the start -- is not obvious from the report.
>
> The total numbers reported are really the totals. Also, the delta
> reported for the totals is the difference to the last report.
>
> The number reported with +/- for open/closed are *not* deltas, but the
> number of issues opened since last week. As some open issues were closed
> and some closed issues were opened, they don't sum up the way you
> expect. An example:
>
> old:
>   open:   #1 #2
>   closed: #3 #4
> new:
>   open:   #1 #3 #5
>   closed: #2 #4
>
> The report would be
>
>   open: 3 (+2, namely #3 and #5); delta would be +1
>   closed: 2 (+1, namely #4); delta would be 0
>
> IOW, the numbers after +/- match the counts in the lists shown below,
> not the delta since last week.

Yes, and that's what I complained about. However, your example doesn't
demonstrate my problem, since its deltas *are* real deltas, and
+1 + +0 == +1.

I guess a better example would be

old:
  open #1 #2
  closed #3
new:
  open #1
  closed #2 #3 #4 #5

which results in +2 for open (since #4 and #5 were opened) and +3 for closed
(since #2, #4 and #5 were closed), however the total issue delta is +2.  This
is why I think these numbers should be labeled "openings" and "closings".

Georg