[Python-Dev] WSGI is now Python 3-friendly

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Sep 25 21:56:59 CEST 2010

I have only done the Python 3-specific changes at this point; the
diff is here if anybody wants to review, nitpick or otherwise comment:

   http://svn.python.org/view/peps/trunk/pep-0333.txt?r1=85014&r2=85013&pathrev=85014

For that matter, if anybody wants to take a crack at updating Python
3's wsgiref based on the above, feel free.  ;-)  I'll be happy to
answer any questions I can that come up in the process.

(Please note: I went with Ian Bicking's "headers are strings, bodies
are bytes" proposal, rather than my original "bodies and outputs are
bytes" one, as there were not only some good arguments in its favor,
but because it also resulted in fewer changes to the PEP, especially
in the code samples.)

I will continue to work on adding the other addenda/errata mentioned here:

   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/web-sig/2010-September/004655.html

But because these are "shoulds" rather than musts, and apply to both
Python 2 and 3, they are not as high priority for immediate
implementation in wsgiref and do not necessarily need to hold up the
3.2 release.

(Nonetheless, if anybody is willing to implement them in the Python 3
version, I will happily review the changes for backport into the
Python 2 standalone version of wsgiref, and issue an updated release
to include them.)

Thanks!