[Python-Dev] Python wiki

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon Sep 27 05:45:26 CEST 2010

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:56:20 -0400, Scott Dial <scott+python-dev at scottdial.com> wrote:
> On 9/26/2010 3:12 AM, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> > Preventing the browser from prompting the user on the chance they
> > might want to enter an OpenID is not possible, and stopping to use
> > basic authentication is not feasible.
>
> In theory, you could catch usernames that started with "http://", but I

No, Martin really meant "not possible": once basic auth is started,
the browser prompts for username and password and you are in basic-auth
land thereafter; the web server has *no way* to tell the browser to
*stop* using basic auth.

> imagine that only "ultra geeks" know their URIs (I have no idea what the
> URI for a Google account is). But, I don't see this as being worthwhile

Well, my OpenId is 'david.bitdance.com', so even if you could get around
the basic auth problem, looking for "http://" wouldn't work.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com