[Python-Dev] Atlassian and bitbucket merge

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Sep 29 08:58:49 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 18:13, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> I see that Atlassian have just taken over BitBucket, the Mercurial
> hosting company. IIRC Atlassian offered to host our issue tracking on
> JIRA, but in the end we decided to eat our own dog food and went with
> roundup.

That's right. Enough of a vocal stink was thrown when the
infrastructure committee chose a closed source, Java issue tracker
that we went with Roundup instead, even though Atlassian offered to
host the tracker for us.

> I'm wondering if they'd be similarly interested in supporting our Hg
> server. Or is self-hosting the only acceptable solution? From recent
> mail it looks likes we may be up and running on Hg fairly soon.

Looking at their pricing model, we don't need permission; public repos
can have unlimited contributors. Plus bitbucket supports CNAMEs so we
would also be able to still have hg.python.org for accessing the
repos.

The trick would be managing accounts. I would assume either everyone
would need bitbucket accounts to add as contributors to a repo, or a
dummy python-dev user account would be created where select core devs
could add SSH keys to the python-dev user account (although I think
the latter would destroy the commit history in terms of who made what
change as I suspect bitbucket does it based on the bitbucket account
and not one's .hgrc info although I could be wrong). Without knowing
how this would be handled I can't really comment.