[Python-Dev] Atlassian and bitbucket merge

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed Sep 29 12:42:34 CEST 2010

Am 29.09.2010 09:03, schrieb Dirkjan Ochtman:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 03:13, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>> I see that Atlassian have just taken over BitBucket, the Mercurial
>> hosting company. IIRC Atlassian offered to host our issue tracking on
>> JIRA, but in the end we decided to eat our own dog food and went with
>> roundup.
>>
>> I'm wondering if they'd be similarly interested in supporting our Hg
>> server. Or is self-hosting the only acceptable solution? From recent
>> mail it looks likes we may be up and running on Hg fairly soon.
>
> Don't know about acceptable, but as far as I know hosting Mercurial
> repositories doesn't require as much work as hosting Roundup instances
> (which the Mercurial project also has). I wouldn't mind maintaining
> hg.python.org, and there are probably other devs that could also
> easily get involved.
>
> Anyway, I don't think using Bitbucket buys us much. It could be nice
> to keep a mirror there for redundancy and because it might make
> contributing slightly easier for non-committers, but it won't allow
> doing all kinds of custom hooks the way we could do with hg.p.o,
> AFAICT.

Agreed on both counts.  Bitbucket will be a good solution for non-core
developers to host their clones and branches, and I'm sure there will
be a mirror of the main Python repo somewhere.  But as you say, hosting
Mercurial is very easy, and doesn't require constant administration.

The argument of hooks is a very strong one in favor of hg.python.org.

Georg