[Python-Dev] We should be using a tool for code reviews

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Sep 29 22:59:58 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 13:43, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Le mercredi 29 septembre 2010 à 13:35 -0700, Brett Cannon a écrit :
>>
>> Well, we can start with strongly worded suggestions that patches
>> submitted using Rietveld will typically get priority over patches
>> submitted just to the issue tracker and that this means doing it from
>> a checkout.
>
> But will we (all of us) actually follow this rule?

Does it matter? If it leads to an easier review process in some cases
and doesn't impact reviews overall in a negative way who cares.

> Granted, a patch is reviewed faster if it's easier to review. But in
> many cases (small patches) it doesn't really make a difference.

So it's a no-op in some cases, a benefit in others. I don't see the harm.

> I have from time to time suggested that a contributor post his/her patch
> to Rietveld. But that was for really large or nasty ones.

Same here, but that was because I didn't have an easy way to say
"submit the patch to Rietveld and add the link to the issue". If we
have it in a checkout we can easily say "please run code_review.py
from your checkout and paste the link into the issue to move the
review forward."