[Python-Dev] We should be using a tool for code reviews

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 23:11:36 CEST 2010

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Alexander Belopolsky
> <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Guido van Rossum<guido at python.org>  wrote:
>> ..
>>> But maybe with Hg it's less of a burden to ask people to use a checkout.
>>
>> I thought with Hg it would be more of a burden for casual contributors
>> to use a checkout simply because the checkout is many times bigger.
>
> Isn't it still faster though?

For what it's worth, when I tried it, the relationship is reversed:

[hg]$ time hg clone http://code.python.org/hg/branches/py3k/
hg clone http://code.python.org/hg/branches/py3k/  24.44s user 3.43s system 10%
cpu 4:15.48 total

[hg]$ du -hsc py3k
105M    py3k

[svn]$ time svn co http://svn.python.org/projects/python/branches/py3k/
svn co http://svn.python.org/projects/python/branches/py3k/  5.03s user 7.01s
system 12% cpu 1:35.97 total
[svn]$ du -hsc py3k
131M    py3k

Mercurial's checkout with the whole history is actually smaller than the SVN
checkout because it applies some very nice compression to the history whereas
the SVN checkout has an uncompressed copy of every single file tucked away in
its .svn/ directory.

My mercurial checkout happens to be slower, but I don't know whose fault that
is. I'm still using Mercurial 1.5.1 on my OS X box, and while I wasn't doing
much that would take up CPU or bandwidth, I wasn't trying especially hard to
prevent such interference, either.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."