[Python-Dev] Atlassian and bitbucket merge

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Sep 29 23:25:42 CEST 2010

> Do we expect Mercurial to require more, less, or about the same amount of
> babysitting as the current Subversion repository?

The ongoing effort is to manage write access; this is not going to
change with Mercurial.

With a hosted service, you still need someone who gives write
permissions to people. What you gain is not having to deal with
lost credentials (forgotten passwords, new SSH keys). We *could*
of course setup a web-based user management on python.org as
well so committers can upload their SSH keys over the web, however,
the current approach has not produced much problems.

For Mercurial (or any other VCS), there is also an upfront effort
to setup the system, which is primarily data conversion and hooks.
Expect increased activity in creating hooks for one year after
the switchover.

Of course, with a hosted service, you often can't run hooks at all,
so the effort to write them is also reduced :-)

Regards,
Martin