[Python-Dev] Please revert autofolding of tracker edit form

Westley Martínez anikom15 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 02:02:44 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 16:27 -0700, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2011, at 9:52 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
> > I would like to try putting the comment box after the last (most
> > recent) comment, as that is the message one most ofter responds to.
> > Having to now scroll up and down between comment box and last
> > message(s) is often of a nuisance.
> >

> While that sounds logical, I think it will be a usability problem.  If
> someone doesn't see a the comment box immediately, they may not know
> to scroll down past dozens of messages to find it.
>

> Rather that being trial-and-error amateur web page designers, it would
> be better to follow proven models.  All of the following have the
> comment box at the top and the messages in reverse chronological
> order:
>

> * http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2393587
> * http://digg.com/news/entertainment/top_12_game_shows_of_all_time
> * https://twitter.com/
>

> Raymond

How 'bout no? YouTube uses this and it's horrid and unnatural, and
bulletin boards have been using chronological order for whiles with
great success. Reverse chronological order has a niche for feeds,
updates, whatever you want to call it, but when it comes to following a
discussion it's much easier to start with the first word.