[Python-Dev] Please revert autofolding of tracker edit form

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Apr 1 02:22:18 CEST 2011

On 3/31/2011 7:27 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2011, at 9:52 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>> I would like to try putting the comment box after the last (most
>> recent) comment, as that is the message one most ofter responds to.
>> Having to now scroll up and down between comment box and last
>> message(s) is often of a nuisance.
>
> While that sounds logical, I think it will be a usability problem. If
> someone doesn't see a the comment box immediately, they may not know to
> scroll down past dozens of messages to find it.

Even though such is standard for the majority of web fora?

> Rather that being trial-and-error amateur web page designers, it would
> be better to follow proven models. All of the following have the comment
> box at the top and the messages in reverse chronological order:

I really hate that since it means scrolling down before reading, and
because this is unusually, so by habit I start reading at the top.

> * http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2393587
> * http://digg.com/news/entertainment/top_12_game_shows_of_all_time
> * https://twitter.com/

In my experience, reverse is maybe 20% of sites I have visited. Forward:
guido's blog, and I presume others at site; ars technica, stackoverflow,
slashdot, most or all php-based web fora, ....

--
Terry Jan Reedy