[Python-Dev] Please revert autofolding of tracker edit form

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Apr 1 04:12:47 CEST 2011

    >> I would like to try putting the comment box after the last (most
    >> recent) comment, as that is the message one most ofter responds
    >> to. Having to now scroll up and down between comment box and last
    >> message(s) is often of a nuisance.

    Raymond> While that sounds logical, I think it will be a usability
    Raymond> problem.  If someone doesn't see a the comment box immediately,
    Raymond> they may not know to scroll down past dozens of messages to
    Raymond> find it.

For me, the comment box is never available immediately.  I always have to
scroll.  After the first two sections have been filled in, most of that
information is static, excepting the nosy list changes and the occasional
change of state.  Almost all the action is going to be in the comments,
review buttons and patches which you always have to scroll to see.  That's
one reason I asked for the collapsible expanders.

If nothing else, You could make it easy to jump to the comments or the list
of patches with a link near the top of the page labelled "Jump to comments"
(or similar) which links to an anchor further down the page.

    Raymond> Rather that being trial-and-error amateur web page designers,
    Raymond> it would be better to follow proven models.

I don't know who here uses Chrome, but if you have access to it, take a look
at the bookmark manager.  While it doesn't have what I had in mind at the
leaf level (I'd like the leaves to expand under their parents, not in a
separate pane), it does use expanders to reveal different amounts of detail.
It's a model many other "directory traversal" GUIs use.  Admittedly, we have
a bit flatter hierarchy, but the leaves are huge.  See attached.  (Apologies
for the image size.  Who would have thought such a modest image would be so
hard to compress?)

Skip