[Python-Dev] Issue 11715: building Python from source on multiarch Debian/Ubuntu

Tim Wintle timwintle at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 12:54:07 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 08:37 +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 3:35 AM, Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
> > If I understand the policy correctly, 2.5 and 2.6 are not considered
> > active branches, so any doc, build or bug fixes are not acceptable.
>
> Actual build fixes may be acceptable, if they're needed to allow
> people to build from a version control checkout or from source (since
> they need to be able to do that in order to apply security patches).
>
> However, the combination of "running on Ubuntu 11.04+" and "need to
> build security patched version of old Python" seems unlikely.

I disagree.

FWIW - I maintain legacy code for python2.4, and 2.5 (mainly 2.5).

I've reviewed upgrading this code to run on 2.7 - and it's too much work
to do in the near future.

I develop on Ubuntu (and will probably update to 11.04 in a few months)
- so this will directly affect me.

I'm fairly sure that others will be in the same situation.

Even if their servers won't run ubuntu 11.04+ (or something with the
same library paths), their development environments will.

As a result, I'm very much +1 on integrating this patch to previous
versions.

Tim Wintle