[Python-Dev] Issue 11715: building Python from source on multiarch Debian/Ubuntu

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Apr 1 18:00:38 CEST 2011

On 4/1/2011 9:45 AM, Michael Foord wrote:

>> See thread starting at
>> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-August/103263.html
> As far as I can tell there was no clear decision there either. :-)

I read it as deciding no doc fixes.

> (Other than no *need* to bother, which doesn't answer the question of
> what if developers *want* to fix errors in the docs - and I'm in favour
> of *permitting* but not requiring it.)

I see three reasons not to backport doc fixes:

1. we have too few people and too little time to do all we can/should
with current releases.

2. anyone wanting up-to-date 2.6 docs should really consult 2.7 docs
which include 2.6, with differences carefully noted. It was suggested in
the thread that older docs, such as 2.6, say so. The point we should
advertise is that the 'x.y' docs are really the cumulative Python x
docs. We do extra work to make them be that.

(If nothing else, restarting the docs fresh will eventually be a reason
for a Python4 release.)

3. sporadic updates to 2.6 docs will not benefits windows users or
anyone else with a local copy at all; they will only deceptively benefit
site visitors, which will still miss out on everything not backported.

--
Terry Jan Reedy