[Python-Dev] Issue 11715: building Python from source on multiarch Debian/Ubuntu

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Sat Apr 2 10:55:45 CEST 2011

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> > >They can also patch the Python releases themselves, or use Ubuntu
> > >packages that someone else made for them (they can probably just install
> > >the old 2.4 packages just fine).
> >
> > The Python 2.6, 2.7, and 3.2 packages in Ubuntu 11.04 already have essentially
> > the same patch that I posted, so folks using Python 2.6 from the operating
> > system will not have a problem.  Without this patch in our repository, folks
> > building Python 2.6 from source will have to be aware of it.
>
> So let them use Python 2.6 from Ubuntu. Case closed!

It isn't that simple. For example, I have automated scripts that test
cdecimal against decimal.py for *every* release from r25 to r32.

This is also the reason why I was unhappy that r25 did not build from
Mercurial initially.

There has been a lot of churn lately for module authors, starting with
__pycache__, cpython-32m.so suffixes and ending in the mercurial
transition.

In this case, it's clearly Ubuntu who is going to break things. Still,
the proposed patch could make life a lot easier for many people.

Stefan Krah