[Python-Dev] Policy for making changes to the AST

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 13:17:12 CEST 2011

On 3 April 2011 07:55, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> 1. Do nothing. This will break code that currently uses AST, but doesn't add
>> any complexity to cpython.
>
> I'm in favor of this approach as well. Notice that there is
> ast.__version__ precisely so that applications can support multiple AST
> versions.

This might be a suitable topic for a post to "Python Insider" - as
it's a policy question, that would make the discussion known to a
wider audience, giving people with an interest the opportunity to
comment. Hopefully, that also makes the "Do Nothing" approach more
acceptable to the wider Python community by publicising the
implications well in advance.

If there are no objections (I'm conscious that we don't want every
python-dev discussion dumped onto Python Insider) I'll post a short
article once a consensus has been reached.

Paul.