[Python-Dev] Policy for versions of system python

Eugene Toder eltoder at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 03:32:26 CEST 2011

Hello,

CPython source code currently contains a number of python scripts (e.g
Python/makeopcodetargets.py, Objects/typeslots.py, Parser/asdl_c.py)
that are used during the build of the python interpreter itself. For
this reason they are run with system installed python. What is the
policy regarding
the range of python versions that they should support?

I looked at some of the scripts and they seem to support both 2 and 3,
starting from at most 2.4. Python/makeopcodetargets.py says at the
top:
# This code should stay compatible with Python 2.3, at least while
# some of the buildbots have Python 2.3 as their system Python.
Is this the official minimal version or do we have this spelled out
more explicitly somewhere?

Eugene