[Python-Dev] Policy for making changes to the AST

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Apr 4 19:38:24 CEST 2011

On 04/04/2011 18:05, fwierzbicki at gmail.com wrote:
> As a re-implementor of ast.py that tries to be node for node
> compatible, I'm fine with #1 but would really like to have tests that
> will fail in test_ast.py to alert me!

A lot of tools that work with Python source code use ast - so even
though other implementations may not use the same ast "under the hood"
they will probably at least *want* to provide a compatible
implementation. IronPython is in that boat too (although I don't know if
we *have* a compatible implementation yet - we certainly feel like we
*should* have one).

Michael