[Python-Dev] PEP 399: Pure Python/C Accelerator Module Compatibiilty Requirements

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Apr 6 20:54:02 CEST 2011

On 4/6/2011 1:24 PM, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:
>> No worries, it wasn't even my code.  Someone
>> donated it.  The was a discusion on python-dev
>> and collective agreement to allow it to have
>> semantic differences that would let it run faster.
>> IIRC, the final call was made by Uncle Timmy.
> And, for this module, a decision was made for the C code to support
> only lists eventhough the pure python version supports any sequence."

I believe that at the time of that decision, the Python code was only
intended for humans, like the Python (near) equivalents in the itertools
docs to C-coded itertool functions. Now that we are aiming to have
stdlib Python code be a reference implementation for all interpreters,
that decision should be revisited. Either the C code should be
generalized to sequences or the Python code specialized to lists, making
sure the doc matches either way.

--
Terry Jan Reedy