[Python-Dev] [GSoC] Developing a benchmark suite (for Python 3.x)

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 11:41:05 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Jesse Noller, 07.04.2011 22:28:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Anthony Scopatz wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Daniel,
>>> Thanks for putting this together.  I am a huge supporter of benchmarking
>>> efforts.  My brief comment is below.

>>> If you are reaching out to other projects at this stage, I think you
>>> should
>>> also be in touch with the Cython people  (even if its 'implementation'
>>> sits on top of CPython).
>>> As a scientist/engineer what I care about is how Cython benchmarks to
>>> CPython.  I believe that they have some ideas on benchmarking and have
>>> also explored this space.  Their inclusion would be helpful to me
>>> thinking
>>> this GSoC successful at the end of the day (summer).
>>> Thanks for your consideration.
>>> Be Well
>>> Anthony
>>
>> Right now, we are talking about building "speed.python.org" to test
>> the speed of python interpreters, over time, and alongside one another
>> - cython *is not* an interpreter.
>
> Would you also want to exclude Psyco then? It clearly does not qualify as a
> Python interpreter.

Why not? it does run those benchmarks just fine.

>> Cython is out of scope for this.
>
> Why? It should be easy to integrate Cython using pyximport. Basically, all
> you have to do is register the pyximport module as an import hook. Cython
> will then try to compile the imported Python modules and fall back to the
> normal .py file import if the compilation fails for some reason.

then it's fine to include it. we can even include it now in
speed.pypy.org that way. would it compile django?

> So, once CPython is up and running in the benchmark test, adding Cython
> should be as easy as copying the configuration, installing Cython and adding
> two lines to site.py.

can you provide a simple command line tool for that? I want
essentially to run ./cython-importing-stuff some-file.py

> Obviously, we'd have to integrate a build of the latest Cython development
> sources as well, but it's not like installing a distutils enabled Python
> package from sources is so hard that it pushes Cython out of scope for this
> GSoC.

no, that's fine. My main concern is - will cython run those
benchmarks? and will you complain if we don't provide a custom cython
hacks? (like providing extra type information)