[Python-Dev] [GSoC] Developing a benchmark suite (for Python 3.x)

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 15:53:08 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:

> On 04/07/2011 07:52 PM, Michael Foord wrote:
>
>> Personally I think the Gsoc project should just take the pypy suite and
>> run with that - bikeshedding about what benchmarks to include is going
>> to make it hard to make progress. We can have fun with that discussion
>> once we have the infrastructure and *some* good benchmarks in place (and
>> the pypy ones are good ones).
>>
>> So I'm still with Jesse on this one. If there is any "discussion phase"
>> as part of the Gsoc project it should be very strictly bounded by time.
>
> Somehow I missed seeing '[GSoC]' in the subject line (the blizzard of
> notification messages to the various GSoC specific lists must've
> snow-blinded me :).  I'm fine with leaving Cython out-of-scope for the
> GSoC effort, just not for perf.python.org as a whole.

We don't need a massive outstanding todo list for perf.python.org - we
need to get the current speed.pypy.org stuff made more generic for the
purposes we're aiming for and to get the hardware (on my plate) first.

Then we can talk about expanding it. I'm just begging that we not add
a bunch of stuff to a todo list for something that doesn't exist right
now.

jesse