[Python-Dev] [GSoC] Developing a benchmark suite (for Python 3.x)

Anthony Scopatz scopatz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 17:32:05 CEST 2011

> >> and will you complain if we don't provide a custom cython
> >> hacks? (like providing extra type information)
> >
> > I don't consider providing extra type information a hack. Remember that
> they
> > are only used for additional speed-ups in cases where the author is
> smarter
> > than the compiler. It will work just fine without them.
>
> We can agree to disagree on this one.

The way to think about this is really that Cython is its own (creole)
language that which has major intersections with the Python language.
The goal of the Cython project is to have Python be a strict subset of
Cython.  Therefore constructions such as type declarations are really
self-consistent Cython.

Because it aims to be a superset of Python, Cython is more like a two-stage
Python compiler (compile to C, then compile to assembly) than
an interpreter.  For the purposes of benchmarking, the distinction between
compiler and interpreter, as some one said above, 'dubious'.

You wouldn't want to add all of the type info or do anything in Cython that
is *not* in Python here.  That would defeat the purpose of benchmarking
where you absolutely have to compare apples to apples.

That said, despite the abstract, it seems that points 1 and 2 won't actually
be present in this GSoC.  We are not defining benchmarks.  This
project is more about porting to Python 3.

Thus, I agree with Jesse, and we shouldn't heap on more TODOs than already
exist. As people
have mentioned here, it will be easy to add Cython support once the system
is up and running.

Be Well
Anthony