[Python-Dev] Status of json (simplejson) in cpython

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Apr 16 16:19:31 CEST 2011

Hello Vinay,

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 09:50:25 +0000 (UTC)
Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> If it is generally considered desirable to maintain some synchrony between
> simplejson and stdlib json, then since Bob has stated that he no interest in
> Python 3, it may be better to:
>
> 1. Convert the simplejson codebase so that it runs on both Python 2 and 3
> (without running 2to3 on it). Once this is done, if upstream accepts these
> changes, ongoing maintenance will be fairly simple for upstream, and changes
> only really need to consider exception and string/byte literal syntax, for the
> most part.
> 2. Merge this new simplejson with stdlib json for 3.3.

What you're proposing doesn't address the question of who is going to
do the ongoing maintenance. Bob apparently isn't interested in
maintaining stdlib code, and python-dev members aren't interested in
maintaining simplejson (assuming it would be at all possible). Since
both groups of people want to work on separate codebases, I don't see
how sharing a single codebase would be possible.

Regards

Antoine.