[Python-Dev] PEP 399: Pure Python/C Accelerator Module Compatibility Requirements

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Sun Apr 17 12:53:02 CEST 2011

Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Now if people would actually support simply not accepting any more C modules
> into the Python stdlib (this does not apply to CPython's stdlib), then I'm all
> for that. I only went with the "accelerator modules are okay" route to help get
> acceptance for the PEP. But if people are willing to go down a more stringent
> route and say that any module which uses new C code is considered
> CPython-specific and thus any acceptance of such modules will be damn hard to
> accomplish as it will marginalize the value of the code, that's fine by me.

Could you explain why C code marginalizes the value of the code? Most
people use CPython and they definitely want fast C modules. Also,
many people actually use CPython specifically for its C-API.

It has been suggested recently that wrapping the ICU library would be
desirable for Python. Should all such projects be discouraged because
it does not benefit PyPy, Jython and IronPython?

I find these projects very interesting and wish them well, but IMO the
reality is that CPython will continue to be the dominant player for
at least another 10 years.

Stefan Krah