[Python-Dev] PEP 399: Pure Python/C Accelerator Module Compatibiilty Requirements

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 19:11:50 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> We try very hard to optimize for usual python idioms. They're very
>> often much better than specific cpython hacks. Unless you mean things
>> like rebiding a global into default a "pythonic idiom". We had to
>> rewrite places in standard library which are precisely not very
>> pythonic.
>
> If I understand correctly, you’ve made internal changes preserving the
> official API of the modules.  Have you reported those cases to
> bugs.python.org?  I’m sure we’d be glad to incorporate those changes
> into the stdlib, possibly even in the stable branches if their rationale
> is strong enough.

I think what's relevant was merged by benjamin. Usually:

* we do revert things that were specifically made to make cpython faster, like

 def f(_getattr=getattr):

* we usually target CPython version that's already frozen, which is
pretty inconvinient to post this changes back. Example would be a
socket module where it has changed enough in 3.x that 2.7 changes make
no sense.