[Python-Dev] PEP 399: Pure Python/C Accelerator Module Compatibiilty Requirements

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 14:29:24 CEST 2011

> Once this move is made/accepted, I would expect the other
> implementation to rapidly move away from their custom implementations
> of the stdlib and contribute to the shared code base and
> documentation. Yes, this places a burden on CPython, but in the long
> term in benefits *all* of the projects equally by simply having more
> active contributors.

I would also like to point out that some valuable contributions were
made already by other implementations. When talking about stdlib, it's
mostly in the area of test suite, but not only in terms of "skip those
tests", but also improving test coverage and even fixing bugs. Unicode
fixes were prototyped on PyPy first and some PyPy optimizations were
ported to CPython (the original method cache patch came from Armin
Rigo as far as I remember). So it's not completely "Cpython's burden"
only.

Cheers,
fijal