[Python-Dev] Drop OS/2 and VMS support?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Apr 19 16:36:13 CEST 2011

Victor Stinner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I asked one year ago if we should drop OS/2 support: Andrew MacIntyre,
> our OS/2 maintainer, answered:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-April/099477.html
>
> Extract: << The 3.x branch needs quite a bit of work on OS/2 to
> deal with Unicode, as OS/2 was one of the earlier OSes with full
> multiple language support and IBM developed a unique API.  I'm still
> struggling to come to terms with this, partly because I myself don't
> "need" it. >>
>
> So one year later, Python 3 does still not support OS/2.
>
> --
>
> About VMS: I don't know if anyone is using Python (2 or 3) on VMS, or if
> Python 3 does work on VMS. I bet that it does just not compile :-)
>
> I don't know anyone using VMS or OS/2.
>
> --
>
> There are 39 #ifdef VMS and 52 #ifdef OS2. We can keep them and wait
> until someone work on these OSes to ensure that the test suite pass. But
> if nobody cares of these OSes and nobody wants to maintain them, it
> would be easier for the maintenance of the Python source code base to
> remove specific code.
>
> Well, not "remove" directly, but plan to remove it using the PEP 11
> procedure (mark OS/2 and VMS as unsupported, and remove the code in
> Python 3.4).

The Python core team is not really representative of the Python
community users, so I think this needs a different approach:

Instead of simply deprecating OSes without notice to the general
Python community, how about doing a "call for support" for these
OSes ?

If that doesn't turn up maintainers, then we can take the PEP 11
route.

FWIW: There's still a fan-base out there for OS/2 and its successor
eComStation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EComStation
http://www.ecomstation.com/ecomstation20.phtml
http://www.warpstock.eu/

Same for VMS in form of OpenVMS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVMS
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/index.html?jumpid=/go/openvms
http://www.vmspython.org/

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 19 2011)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/