[Python-Dev] Drop OS/2 and VMS support?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Tue Apr 19 22:14:06 CEST 2011

Le mardi 19 avril 2011 à 15:20 -0400, Doug Hellmann a écrit :
> > The Python core team is not really representative of the Python
> > community users, so I think this needs a different approach:
> >
> > Instead of simply deprecating OSes without notice to the general
> > Python community, how about doing a "call for support" for these
> > OSes ?
> >
> > If that doesn't turn up maintainers, then we can take the PEP 11
> > route.
>
> Victor, if you want to post the "call for support" to Python Insider,
> let me know off list and I will set you up with access.

If we ask users if they want to keep OS/2 and VMS, I expect that at
least someone would like to keep them. But it doesn't solve the
maintenance problem: we need maintainers (developers), not users.

If a "call for support" can help us to maintain these OSes, nice. But I
don't want to touch these OSes (I want to do less work, not more
work :-)), and so I don't want to write such call. If you feel concerned
by this issue, contact Doug to write the call ;-)

Victor