[Python-Dev] Not-a-Number

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Apr 29 14:57:34 CEST 2011

Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> writes:

> I'm sorry for my lack of clarity. I'm referring to functions which
> potentially produce NANs, not the exceptions themselves. A calculation
> which might have produced a (quiet) NAN as the result instead raises
> an exception (which I'm treating as equivalent to a signal).

Yes, it produces a Python exception, which is not a Python NaN.

If you want to talk about “signalling NaNs”, you'll have to distinguish
that (every time!) so you're not misunderstood as referring to a Python
NaN object.

--
 \     “It's my belief we developed language because of our deep inner |
  `\                  need to complain.” —Jane Wagner, via Lily Tomlin |