[Python-Dev] unittest bug

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Aug 4 01:00:52 CEST 2011

Michael Foord wrote:
> On 3 Aug 2011, at 22:58, Ethan Furman wrote:
>> Michael Foord wrote:

>>> That's the bug right there. Just import TestCase and main and everything should work fine. Using "import *" is not recommended except at the interactive interpreter and it doesn't play well with unittest.main which does magic introspection to find tests to run.
 >>
>> If from xxx import * is not supported, why provide __all__?
>
> a) to define the public API

In trying to refute this, I found
http://docs.python.org/py3k/reference/simple_stmts.html?highlight=__all__#the-import-statement
and learned something new.  Thanks, Michael!

I think I'll withdraw my bug report, however -- since
`from ... import *` is already noted as usually bad practice it should
fall on the shoulders of the modules where it is /supposed/ to work to
advertise that, and absent any such advertisement it should not be used.

~Ethan~